Inspriration is everywhere! I recently saw this photo of the incredibly stylish Solange Knowles in Lucky magazine and was inspired to make a geometric print.
Here’s my process:
1. Looking at the fun color palatte, geometric pattern and splash of gold in this Lucky editorial I started sketching several geometric patterns and painted them in the coodinating colors.
3. I put it in repeat and decided it would be great on a clutch. Using the Emilio Pucci silk clutch handbag I added my pattern in three colorways and different scales. Ta-da!
Leave a Comment
Are you a creative type who is new to social media or shy about using it? I will be teaching my 3-hour, 1-day workshop on Social Media for Artists and Designers at Otis College of Art and Design on October 11th. If you missed the last class in February here is what you will learn:
- the importance of developing your niche and brand identity BEFORE using social media
- differences between Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook
- identify the networks that work best for you and why
- see examples of how networks are used to give a voice, face and personality to your brand
- how to set goals and strategies that will help leverage your brand and showcase your work
- how identifying your audience, creating a posting schedule, using strategic posting techniques and combining networks can work for you
- the importance of blogging
- how you can develop engaging, unique content to get the attention of brands and potential clients
I will break down the different networks and show examples on how they are used to promote your work. See Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest in action and how combining them with blogging can help give a voice, face and personality to your brand. It is an affordable $35 for the 3-hour seminar. A steal! Go HERE to register. Hope to see you there!
SOCIAL MEDIA for ARTISTS and DESIGNERS
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 11
OTIS COLLEGE of ART and DESIGN, Los Angeles, CA
1pm – 4pm
I thought I’d share with you some of the work I have been doing in the last several months. From baby showers to weddings, personal stationery to logos here are a few projects from the studio.
1. Before and Again is currently selling two of my apparel designs. You can find these summer florals, Moonlight Garden and Floral Fusion, on a variety of different tops and even a scarf! The tunics are butter soft and really comfy.
2. I had the pleasure of designing the hand-lettered logo and branding for Summer Newman Events. Find her on Facebook here. She is one fantastic and creative event planner. Her site is coming soon.
3. Pamela Smith Hudson is a consultant, artist and instructor. She is also an art materials expert and teaches Encaustic painting at Los Angeles County Museum of Art and Otis College of Art and Design here is L.A. I have recently lettered her monogram “PSH” seen below and am currently working on her website launching in August.
4. Baby showers are so special and I really enjoyed making this one custom. For this shower and using the colors yellow and gray (the baby’s sex was a secret), I branded the event with illustrated baby icons for signage and baby onesies, designed game cards and other handouts, hand lettered food labels for the food table, header cards for the candy bags and designed the thank you cards to match.
5. A close friend of mine was recently married and I had the pleasure of hand lettering a signature logo for the event which I used on the programs, welcome sign and seating chart.
6. You can find this wedding announcement I designed for Invitations by Dawn on sale now. Available in 4 different colors here.
7. Ilene, of Ilene Squires Photography, asked me to design a thank you card she can punch a hole in and tie to her clients’ orders. In addition she also ordered personal stationery for her family. I designed this custom, circular, thank you card and gold foiled, hand-lettered, blank notecards.
As you can see it’s been busy around here. I am currently designing for exciting, new clients creating chalk board word art and textile designs! I am working on deals from the Surtex show and also refreshing the website (to come)! Sorry I have been so absent. You will see more of me – I promise! -J
Leave a Comment
I walked into Kate Spade recently and DIED when I saw this dress that the adorable saleswoman was wearing. I want to purchase everything in this pattern. Kate Spade has a new line inspired by Cuba – tropical, fruity colors, hand drawn palms and city scenes, classic shapes…it’s really good. Check it their “17 days in Havana” series and see the collection here.
Pair it with this cutie!Leave a Comment
This year Father’s Day is a time for me to reflect on the time I had with my Dad, to remember and celebrate his spirit and the fun-loving man he was. Though he isn’t here with us, I feel his presence often and am reminded of him when I catch myself saying something that he would say or see something that would make him smile. I just realized that everyday is Father’s Day for me as he is always near and being honored. Wishing you all a joyous weekend with the ones you love, celebrating the Fathers in your life. Happy Father’s Day!
Leave a Comment