They Draw and Cook is a fabulous website that features illustrated recipes and food-related illustrations. Every day you will find lots of yummy recipes that have been imagined in the most creative ways. This week you can see my fall-inspired “No Churn Pumpkin Ice Cream” recipe illustration in the top “Pumpkin Party” feature section. I am honored to be in such great company. These illustrations and recipes are look yummy and are making me hungry!
Leave a Comment
As you may know it is really important to me to connect with other artists and encourage them to “follow their bliss”. I love coaching and providing encouragement to artists since I know first hand that being an artist is terribly vulnerable and it brings up a lot of our fears and limiting beliefs. I am an advocate for walking in your path, following your heart and not holding back your inner artist and creative dreams. On the road to living in your purpose there are a lot of speed bumps, detours to Crazy Town and mental gymnastics. It isn’t supposed to be easy but I think that we can all achieve our dreams with 1. perseverance 2. help from others 3. letting go of fear and control. It’s the journey that is more important than the goal. We learn so much about life and ourselves while we are gaining inner strength while working towards our dreams.
I was recently on a call with Artist/Designer, Kathy Weller, talking about these very things. We realized we are going through similar things and having hesitation and fear about moving forward with some new projects and goals. Having another like-minded person to discuss your feelings with and to get support and guidance is so important to your personal development and growth. I needed this call to lift me up and get me out of my head. It was so comforting to speak Kathy and find out I am not alone. We decided while we were on the call that others need to hear this. We were helping one another and we could help others who may be feeling the same so we jumped on Periscope and continued the conversation. I also felt it was important to connect the message to others to help make a difference in their lives as Kathy was doing for me. See two of our latest talks here on Kathy’s You Tube!
1. Vulnerability and Getting out of your Own Way
2. Prioritizing your Passion ProjectsLeave a Comment
It’s Fall and class is in session! I have two upcoming classes in the LA area at local art schools that I’d love to announce.
1. SOCIAL MEDIA FOR CREATIVES
Are you a creative type who is new to social media or shy about using it? I will be teaching my 1-day workshop on Social Media for Creatives at Otis College of Art and Design on SEPTEMBER 17th. Here is what you will learn:
- see demos of Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Snap Chat
- learn about video platforms and like Facebook live and Periscope and how video can up your game
- identify the networks that work best for you and why
- see examples of how networks are used to give a voice, face and personality to your brand
- how to set goals and strategies that will help leverage your brand and showcase your work
- how to identify your audience, use hashtags, strategic posting techniques and combining networks can work for you
- how you can develop engaging, unique content to get the attention of brands and potential clients
It is an affordable $49 for the 1-day seminar. We will be taking a short break for lunch. Please bring a lunch or snacks with you. REGISTRATION is OPEN! Go HERE to register. Hope to see you there!
SOCIAL MEDIA for CREATIVES
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 17th
OTIS COLLEGE of ART and DESIGN, Los Angeles, CA
10am – 4pm
2. INTRODUCTION to SURFACE DESIGN
Like last fall semester I will be returning this Fall at Art Center in Pasadena teaching Intro to Surface Design in their Art Center at Night program. It is a great class for anyone who is a graphic designer, illustrator or artist
• Learn the anatomy of a collection
• Learn how to put your art in repeats using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
• Make several collections in your style
• Create presentations for specific product categories
• Students receive several fabric swatch samples from Spoonflower of their designs
Go to artcenter.edu to register or call 626.396.2319.
Let me tell you a little story about transformation.
Earlier this year I had the pleasure of working with an incredible woman, Carrie Hansen to help her with a life-changing breakthrough. Carrie came to me for assistance on getting unstuck creatively. She grew frustrated with her career and found that her creative tank was empty. She no longer saw a future as a designer and needed to revive her love of making art and get her creative mojo back. Does this sound familiar? I know I have experienced this. I let the day-to-day get me down, zapping my creativity and let the frustration and depression take emotional, physical and mental priority over my creative life and heck – life overall. When this happens you have to put the brakes on this craziness.
Carrie saw this was not serving her and decided to make a change and get help. We talked about her goals and I put together a custom 6-week course. I informed her that this journey wouldn’t be easy and mentioned three things that are key to her succeeding:
1. Be ready to dig deep and get in touch with what’s holding you back
2. You must do the work – stick it out and work through it
3. Be open to surprising yourself. Profound realizations, new work techniques and exciting things do happen.
RESULTS BEYOND BELIEF:
At the end of our time together we BOTH felt the transformation. It was electric. She went from a place where she felt stuck with no creative inspiration to experiencing a revitalized love of art-making, a renewed self worth and intense enthusiasm for her future career. Read below to see how it went down and how I can do this for YOU!
SEE CARRIE’S JOURNEY:
I asked Carrie if we could document her journey on video. Here is Carrie’s story and a look at all the (new) work she has made that is spring boarding her onto a new career path.
HOW WE DID IT:
Carrie was able to work through a LOT in 6 weeks. Her journey was life-changing. Carrie’s custom coaching incorporated several assignments and tools that you can use to help get unstuck:
- JOURNALING: Journaling is a tool to help you purge the noise in your head, to sort it out, to let it wander and bring new insight, new solutions, new inspirations. I gave Carrie some tough questions to journal out which led her on her way to uncovering some truths about herself, how her past has affected her now and how she has been holding herself back. Try journaling your thoughts and see what unfolds.
- MEDITATING: Not everyone is a meditator but Carrie is and I thought it would be a fantastic daily exercise for her to use in the course. Meditation centers and calms you and brings you to a place where you can be with yourself, be present and take on things from a place of love and peace. She went within and learned more about herself. I highly recommend meditating. It can work wonders.
- ART EXERCISES: Before we sat down to talk I had her come into my studio and do 15 minutes (sometimes more if she was in the groove) of drawing exercises. I set up a simple still life with paper and a variety of materials and asked her to draw freely. It is a time of play and of experimentation – where inspiration and ideas lie. Sometimes I limited the palette and most of the time I introduced new mediums that she has not used before. When drawing she can clear her head when she arrived, create without pressure and try new art materials. I highly recommend this when you need to jump into work but are not sure where to start. Just DOING something is all you need to be inspired or get you over the hump. Try working with a new medium or a change in environment. Change it up a bit and play. You may discover something new.
- VISION BOARD: This assignment is customized for each client. I don’t require a traditional vision board where you paste up your desires and goals. The boards we make involve a process where you articulate your values, what makes you happy, what or who inspires you, what is going on now that you love in your life and of course where you want to be. For Carrie I asked her to look at these as well as art and artists that she admires to help her create a visual reference of the things in her life that bring her joy, things that inspire her and values that she holds near and dear to her as a person that can help shape her career goals going forward. We referred to this board often to help her see the joy in her life and what’s truly important to her. Make one for yourself and enjoy the process of creating it. It is uplifting and will make you happy and excited when you see it.
- DISCUSSION: Every class she would walk me through her homework and talk about what came up. Sometimes she discovered an issue when she was journaling and we talked it out. Old, hurtful memories were uncovered that she didn’t realize were holding her back. It was a time of discovery and healing for her which led to her breakthrough and renewed creativity. Speak to someone you trust about what you are going through and what is coming up for you. Discussion, like journalling, can help you pinpoint the common issues and find resolutions.
- ASSIGNMENTS: Carrie wanted to make a new body of work – something that she hasn’t done before that could lead her to a new income stream (like art licensing or selling art). I knew she needed more than an accountability coach or art coach so week after week I led her to discover her untapped potential. I watched as her new artwork developed into something she was ecstatic about and observed her ahhh-ha moments as she saw the possibilities herself. Through brainstorming and custom homework assignments she was able to see the potential she has and more. A coach (like me!) can assist you with your particular challenges. See help to work through them.
WHAT’S CARRIE UP TO NOW? I am one proud Mama! Carrie has informed me that she has a TON of illustration jobs. She says she is working on “interiors illustrations for a website, a logo for a dog walking company, the tea towels are progressing, a set of prints for a Girls’ line, storyboarding and designing characters for an animated short, and – although this is not a paid assignment – a short graphic novel illustrating freaky dreams about pregnancy and babies. I’m also looking into printing some of the work I’m doing for myself.”
Carrie is an inspiration. This is incredible. It’s only been a few months since we last met! THIS is what happens when you say “Yes” to committing to making a change, facing your blocks, looking within and allowing yourself to discover your inner artist – your true self expression.
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE SOMETHING FOR YOU?
I want this for you. Being an artist or creative person is a vulnerable thing. We put our work and our heart and soul on paper, wood, photos, in crafts, in jewelry making, collaging, metal etc. for the world to see. We share a personal part of ourselves for others to find joy in. It is important to tap into the art-making, art-loving, creative side of you to share your true self expression through your work and unlock the potential you have inside. NO more being frustrated, getting stuck or holding yourself back. It will only end up in more pain and not pursuing your dreams. I want your dreams to come true and taking the first step to discover what makes your creativity soar is where you start. Head over to my Coaching tab and find the course or coaching services that is right for you!
Hope your summer has been fantastic so far and filled with lots of sun and fun. Here’s a soft and happy floral wallpaper for your devices to remind you that beauty is not just all around this summer but within!
Leave a Comment